Follow the brown signs
A rural church on the edge of modern life
Up a track and through fields, though now on the edge of Ipswich housing developments, St Mary’s remains rural and remote.
This small and simple flint-towered church dates mainly from the later Middle Ages, apart from the brick south chapel added in the 16th- or 17th-century.
The interior is simple but beautiful and contains a wonderful carved font with traceried panels around the bowl.
A piscina in the chapel and a blocked north doorway in the nave were uncovered during recent repairs.
The solitary gravestone to the north of the church of a two year old boy (who died in 1878) helped to alter the Burial Laws of England.
How to find us
St Mary’s Church, Akenham
Get directions to this attraction